Monday, March 30, 2009

My View from Here...

Nothing really prepares you, as a parent – as a mother, for watching your children struggle, spiral, fall, fail... It goes against our very nature to actually let go and let them make mistakes – big mistakes, mistakes that could have long-lasting repercussions, or decisions that our own experience has taught us are all the wrong ones. We want to hold their hands, protect them, correct & redirect them. But there comes a time when we have to take a step back – or two; a time when we can only be there to pick up pieces, or simply just cry with them over the ‘spilled milk’. Those are tough parenting times. Really tough! And while they think the pain is theirs alone… it’s not. We bear it on our shoulders, too… and in our hearts. No, there’s just no pain like watching your child hurt… struggle… fall …and fight… But there is no greater joy, than when you see them overcome great obstacles… and when you see them win!

I bet God feels that way about us!



My View from Here…

I have watched my daughter fight.
I have watched her hit wall after wall... after brick wall.
I have seen her disappointed, hurting, angry, broken.
I have seen her take blow after blow.
I have seen her ashamed.

I have seen her cry…
and scream.
I have seen her close… way too close.
I have seen her on the edge.

I have seen her misguided…
misdirected…
misunderstood.

I have seen her get up.
I have seen her try again… and again.
I have seen her dust herself off.
I have seen her push through.

I have seen her come back.

Yes, I have seen her fight.

And today…
Today, I have seen her win!

And the moment couldn’t be any sweeter.

1 comment:

Ruthie Oberg said...

This sentiment is priceless...and will mean so much to your daughter when, one day, she watches her own little one and wonders if she will ever make it!

You sound like a great mom...Hugs!